Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Nuclear Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations.
The Planning Engineer is responsible for providing planning support to the EDF Energy Generation work portfolio.
The role for a Pratitiioner planning engineer will focus working with Project Managers to develop & manage schedules to incorporate risk, change, resource requirements and cost in accordance with EDF Energy Generation Company requirements and standards. The Planning Engineer will create plans for the full project lifecycle including development and design.
Role and Responsability
• Develop, control, monitor, analyse and report on schedule related aspects for designated projects within a Portfolio.
• Establish and monitor a cost and resource loaded, logic linked, baseline plan for the project in accordance with CTO Programme Office processes.
• Capture project budgetary costs and resources in the plan to determine time phasing of expenditure and the total project budget.
• Establish robust Work Breakdown and Project Control Structures in terms of project scope, in accordance with Investment Delivery processes, templates and Procedures.
• Work with the Project Manager and the Project team to establish the project activities, cost and durations and ensure that these reflect project scope, constraints and commitments. Challenge as necessary to ensure compatibility and compliance.
• Interface with other departments regarding the project’s activities which may have an impact and ensure these are correctly captured. • Facilitate acceptance of and ensure that the project plan embraces the full project work scope, is fit for purpose and is achievable. This to be done in collaboration with the Project Manager and the project’s Key Team Members / Task Managers. • Ensure that any necessary planning interface with the site Work Management Process (WMP) is established.
• Maintain and control project baselines in line with company procedures and guidance.
• Support the EDF Energy business planning process.
• Ensure the reasons for, and the factors influencing each change to the project’s baseline plan plus the implications of such change are understood and communicated with the wider project team.
• Liaise with project team members and contractors with regards to progress and cost forecasting.
• Monitor, control and analyse the project programme and cost information using Earned Value methodologies, identify variances and bring these to the attention of the Project Manager with possible alternatives, prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project’s specific needs on simple projects
• Challenging schedule and cost variances against the baseline plan with individual task leaders/contractors and or outside stakeholder management as necessary to enable mitigation.
• Integrate 3rd party schedules and data into the overall project plan.
• Contribute to progress meetings, as required, in support of the Project Manager.
• Regular interfacing and integration with the project controls team to maintain an aligned financial position with the Project Plan.
• Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle. (e.g. Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes).
• Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
• High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent MS Office skills, well versed in the preparation of reports and information using packages
such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to
support the successful delivery of projects.
• The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work.
• Proficient in the interpretation of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools.
• Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis.
• Self motivated with good interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
• Good attention to detail with good time management skills.
• Excellent communication and presentational skills.
• Able to use initiative.
• Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in an Engineering discipline or relevant experience 2.5 years of experience for the Practitioner level.
• Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment
• Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment.
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.