Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Nuclear Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
The Project Control Lead (PCL) is responsible for ensuring the planning, estimating, monitoring and control of a specified project, work portfolio or programme is carried out professionally and in compliance with all EDF Energy Generation requirements.
Relevant experience within a Multi Discipline Engineering Project Management or Project Control
environment with proven leadership experience. Understanding of engineering design management and the application of Design Authority, ideally within a highly regulated environment.
This may be a site or centre based role.
Responsible for supervising the work of a number of Planning Engineers and Cost Engineers and maintaining an overview of all work within the designated portfolio. Responsibilities will also include advising, guiding and directing the control and reporting aspects of the designated portfolio of work to ensure compliance with the requirements of the CTO Programme Office procedures and thus maximise the probability of a successful project outcome.
Responsibility may include overseeing the wider Planning or Cost function within EDF Energy.
• Ensure full compliance with the Investment Delivery Process (IDP) requirements.
• Lead a Project Control Team consisting of Planning Engineers and Cost Engineers to ensure consistency, coherence and adherence to planning and control standards across the portfolio.
• Oversee the production and control of baselined, fully logic linked, cost and resource loaded plans, with appropriate milestones, for all work within the portfolio utilising approved work breakdown structures and techniques.
• Support the estimating process to ensure a control estimate is in place for cost monitoring purposes. • Ensure appropriate levels of project monitoring and control techniques are applied to the portfolio appropriate to the scale and scope of the work to enable the work to be managed effectively and efficiently.
• Carry out review/analysis of project controls on a monthly basis to facilitate the determination of physical percentage complete and updating of plans, to an agreed timeframe, with the percentage complete values.
• Supporting Group Heads, Branch Managers, Project Portfolio Managers, Workpack Managers and Project Managers in the production of monthly reports, to an agreed reporting cycle, through the provision of intelligent information and analysis.
• Analysis of trends within the portfolio and provision of feedback on areas of risk and opportunities.
• Facilitate and maintain the Project change control and risk management processes.
• Proactively contribute to the ongoing development of Project Control processes and tools to meet the ongoing requirements of the EDF Energy Generation portfolio.
• Conduct forward resource planning and perform an active role in the recruitment process including interviews. • When nominated by the Project Controls Group Head, takes the Lead role in overseeing the wider Planning or Cost Management function within EDF Energy in terms of development, technical input and governance.
• Highlight shortfalls in Project Controls during normal operation and put in place action plans to remedy areas requiring attention.
• Continually develop the output of the Project Controls function to enhance the value delivered to EDF Energy Generation
• Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle. (e.g. Engineering, Procurement,
Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes).
• Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
• High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent MS Office skills, well versed in the preparation of reports and information using packages
such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to
support the successful delivery of projects.
• The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work.
• Proficient in the interpretation of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools.
• Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis.
• Self motivated with good interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
• Good attention to detail with good time management skills.
• Excellent communication and presentational skills.
• Able to use initiative.
• Ability to work flexibly within the demands of the project, where appropriate, while maintaining the
procedural and quality requirements of EDF Energy.
• HNC Minimum. Typically Degree qualified or equivalent preferred in an appropriate numerate discipline.
• Ability to analyse data to recognise emerging trends and suggest remedial action as appropriate.
• Understand the inter-relationship between time cost and commercial aspects of the project life cycle.
• Working Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
• MACostE desirable. Specific Skills
• High level of analytical and numerate skills and well versed in the preparation of reports and information using packages such as SAP, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Proficient in the application of Earned Value concepts and tools.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills coupled to an ability to communicate well at all levels of management. • Have a detailed understanding of planning methodologies and techniques and a good working knowledge of the latest Primavera Planning Software Tool
. • Have a detailed understanding of Cost Management methodologies and techniques and a good working knowledge of relevant proprietary systems and tools.
• Strives for quality and excellence in everything they do.
• Results focussed tempered with a team centred approach. Able and willing to apply analysis skills to take responsibility, make decisions and meet challenges within the limits of their own capabilities and responsibilities.
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.