The Principal System Engineer will build positive and productive working relationships with customers for business growth. will typically take on significant responsibility within development projects, often leading areas or the development of sub-systems. The role requires a broad application of systems engineering knowledge, from the establishing of user needs through to final delivery. Typically, you will work across a number of these areas and develop strong whole lifecycle experience.
As a Principal Systems Engineer they will not only be educating customers on the benefits of Costain’s Systems Approach but also manage multiple projects, breaking down barriers for the team and both planning at a higher level oversee daily activities of delivery team and provide direction and guidance as needed and getting into the detail to make things happen when needed. Also defining project needs and feeding these into the System Engineering teams which will enable resource to be appropriately allocated.
- Lead the capture and analysis of customer and stakeholder requirements, including the execution of requirement capture meetings and workshops with the clients and internal stakeholders through modelling, workshops, prototyping, and design reviews as appropriate.
- Assume overall technical leadership and responsibility for the solution technical design, ensuring adherence to the solution requirements, cost and schedule constraints, company product policy, legislative and regulatory constraints, and required solution qualities (e.g. manufacturing, supportability, etc.).
- Production of appropriate Technical Assurance plans and ensuring adherence throughout the project lifecycle
- Identifies the need for and leads/performs trade-off studies in a structured manner, including documenting and communicating the rationale and outcomes to all stakeholders.
- Researches design concepts and feasibility.
- Maintains liaison with customer, subcontractor and vendor representatives. Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Define, manage and communicate compliancy status with all stakeholders, and resolve non-compliances with internal and external stakeholders at all levels up to senior management.
- Coordinates and develops project concepts, objectives, specifications and resource needs.
- Collaboration with Resource Management as required to assign relevant technical work tasks to suitably qualified and experienced personnel
- Create, analyse, and document system solution designs in accordance with and traceable to the customer, business and solution requirements. This may involve investigation of existing systems to determine the impact of enhancement requests and potential solution reuse.
- Ensure solution designs reflect the state-of-the-art and industry best practice, and ensure innovative opportunities are prosecuted.
- Assume responsibility for consistency of the system interface definitions.
- Lead multi-discipline implementation teams in the derivation of subsystem hardware and software requirements, enforcing full traceability of requirements throughout the hierarchy.
- Perform ultimate review and approval of all specifications and design documents for the solution.
- Identification of project technical risks and assisting the Project Manager with the management of them
- Monitors project progress and measures project performance against schedules and cost.
- Mentoring of other Systems Engineering staff and activities as required
- Promoting consistent use of all systems engineering processes, methods and tool